The Shuswap Spinners and Weavers Guild is an organization of almost 60 members dedicated to supporting those involved in the fibre arts community locally and promoting these creative skills in the larger community. All members of the larger fibre arts community are welcome- spinners, weavers, knitters, those who crochet, felters and fibre producers. It is a very eclectic group with a history of service in the Shuswap region.
Monday, November 7, 2016
November Monthly Meeting Minutes
Shuswap Spinners and Weavers November 7, 2016
The meeting was called to order by
president Carole at 7 PM, with 25 members and one guest in attendance.
The agenda was amended. Julia moved that the agenda be adopted. Gudie seconded the motion. CARRIED
The Minutes to the October Meeting were
corrected to include the emailed correction to change the address of the sale
to the 5th Avenue Senior's Centre.
Gabriele moved and Joan seconded to adopt the minutes. CARRIED
Equipment: No report
Library: VAV, Spin Out and Ply have
new copies in the library. The Bulletin
is especially good this month.
"Learn to Weave" by Chandler/Redding is still missing, despite
phone calls etc to retrieve it. Moved by
Bea, seconded by Louise that we buy another copy of that book. CARRIED.
Keep an eye out for books we could/should add to the library. We could take a list of books to the ANWG
Report: - No report
Theo Moorman workshop took place at Sharon's workshop on Saturday. Carole displayed a completed sample from the
workshop. 3 out of 4 of the samples we
have contracted to weave have been or are in the process of being
delivered. One sample is left to weave -
the loom is in the guild room to work on.
The next workshop will be a workshop on
reading drafts. Many books have various
display methods displaying weaving patterns.
This workshop will help you decipher them all, and some specific pattern
specialties as well. The workshop will
be on January 12 in Salmon Arm. Location
to be announced. At this time the price
is $40, but with a larger sign up list the price could come down. Beginner weavers will particularly appreciate
The blog is totally updated. Bea
has phoned everyone with an outdated ad to make sure their ad could be
removed, photos from our last meeting
and from the Spin Out are now on line. Thanks
for your hard work, Bea.
The Library Display case has been updated
by Elvi, and the mall display case has been updated by Rod. In both cases, the Christmas poster is last
year's poster with the Date Changed.
Updated Posters will be added when available.
posters were not correct, and so were unable to be picked up from the printers
yet. The completed posters will be
available at Thea's store for those who are able to display posters in their
areas, but it may be a day or two before they are ready.
Gudie will send out PDF files for and
updated copy of the usual posters and mini invitations for those who wish to
print them off and give them out. People
do like to receive their personal notice.
The sale is also advertised on the cards we used at the fall fairs. Please pick up a few copies, so they can be
Gudie has sent sale information to the following venues for their
Sharon Adair - Quilters - < Sandra
Baker - Needle Arts - firstname.lastname@example.org - Calendar of Events
Thanks for doing this, Gudie.
Gudie will also create an event facebook page that you can join, and
then send out to your contact list. Gudie
will also supply tablecloths.
Goodies: Gabriele will once
again host our goodie table with Carole and Sherry's help. She will bring her dishes again. EVERYONE IN THE GUILD IS EXPECTED TO ASSIST
with bringing goodies for the sale.
Gabriele asks that they be small and non sticky goodies, ie, muffins are
of the micro variety, and that all
containers are labelled with your name.
The hall is rented on Friday night, so there will be no set up on
Friday. The Set-Up Crew consists
of: Elvi, Dave, Loanna, Rod, Lois,
Carole and Lis. They will meet at the
guild room at 3:00 PM on Friday, Dec 2 to load up vehicles for the sale on
Saturday. They will also meet at the hall
at 8:00 AM on Friday. PLEASE don't come
with your items until 8:30 AM.
Ann will organize the set up for the sale. If you are bring props, particularly
free-standing shelves, etc., PLEASE LET ANN KNOW IN ADVANCE. Deadline for letting Ann know about props is
A Sign Up Sheet was sent around for manning the
sales desks. It is being attached at the
end of this email.
Julia will be playing her harp, which is being
advertised on the posters
Ann was asked to book
the hall again for this event for next year on December 2, 2017.
LISTS: Noelle asked that Inventory lists be
submitted to her for everyone entering items in the sale. She asked that all items be tagged with three
initials from now on, as well as a description of the item and a price. A typical inventory item would look like this
elb#79 Red mittens $15.00
On your tag, which
should be securely attached to your items, the initials and number and price
should be prominently displayed. Content
and washing instructions must also be attached.
If you are on duty at
the cash desk, please write on the bill whether the payment is in cash, credit
card or cheque. Signing your initials to
each sales slip could help Noelle track down puzzling items. Ann will bring her IPad, and Carole and Lis
their phones, which have the app for the square already set up. The square app is good only for credit cards,
not debit cards. Dave suggested we could
borrow debit card readers from the credit union. This will be looked into.
PLEASE WEAR YOUR NAME TAGS
Noelle took a name tag
order at the meeting. If you are in need
of a new name tag, please email Noelle right away, so yours can be included
with this order.
Julia has repaired two floor length
mirrors. Please note that the legs are
tied to the box, and the mirror can be slid out of the box with out dismantling
it. Please try to keep the items
together. They look great - Thanks
Bea noted that some items have been passed
in previous minutes, but nothing has been done about them. The memorial scholarship committee needs to
make a report/recommendation so we can complete this item. The shawls were subject to a motion, but
nothing has been done about them. Elisabeth
to check past minutes to look for items that need to be addressed.
The December meeting is our Christmas
potluck meeting. Please be aware that it
has been changed to the second Monday of the month. December 12 at the Community Centre at 6 PM. Please bring a plate and some utensils, as
that will allow us to bring casseroles in crock pots, etc for our meal.
Report by Ann - Designing
with Blocks by Dora May Keesbee.
This book has been set up for a study group to explore block
weaves. The back has a number of pattern
pages to allow people to plan different colour patterns.
Louise has some notes on ERROR
CORRECTIONS. She noted that errors are
most easily corrected on the loom, and before washing for best results. A bodkin or tapestry needle - blunt nosed- is
the tool of choice, and good lighting/magnifying helps. A copy of the draft or a good understanding of
the pattern is a good tool to help with fixing the errors. Louise gave a number of excellent suggestions
for avoiding the errors, and for finding and marking them.
Wednesday Evening Spin Ins have resumed in
the Piccadilly mall, hosted by the Bea and Rod
November 15 from 10 - 2 PM at Sherry Barkers. Bring your own lunch, and come to 4803 Landsdown. Sherry will email us directions.
January 17, from
10 - 2 pm at Mona Balls in Armstrong
New Email lists
should be sent out in the next few days.
The meeting was
adjourned at 8:15 PM for coffee and Show and Tell.