Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Salmon Arm Fall Fair Sheep to Shawl competition!

Over the past 3 years we have collected 3 beautiful shawls that were made at the Salmon Arm Fall Fair.  Our guild members decided to put the persons name who competed in the competition for a draw for one of these beautiful shawls. At this years Christmas potluck the draws were made.

2014, 2015, 2016 Shawls

Sheep to Shawl 2014 Salmon Arm Fall Fair
Nicki, Elvi, Ann, Katie, Bea, Rod

Elvi was our 2014 Winner!

Sheep to Shawl  2015  Salmon Arm Fall Fair
Carol, Lis, Rod, Bea, Gudie, Ky

Carol was our 2015 Winner!

Sheep to Shawl  2016  Salmon Arm Fall Fair
Carol, Lis, Ky, Sonia, Gudie, Rod

2016 Shawl goes to.....

Ky was our 2016 Winner!
Congratulations to all our winners.

How about signing up for the 2017 Sheep to Shawl Competition at the Salmon Arm Fall Fair 
and get your name in on the draw!

Monday, December 12, 2016

December Show and Tell

Judith spun her own homegrown sheep's wool.

Judith's Work in Progress, soon to weave a rug.

Gabriele made knitted Christmas bags for her sister.
Elvi made a cowl.

Eiko took a felting course. Made this beautiful purse.

She learned many different techniques!

Carol's Poka Dot pattern Tea Towel
Gudie's Work in Progress for her Canada 150 project.

Great turn out for our Christmas Dinner. 

Everyone brought such a lovely arrangement of food to the potluck.

and.... the desserts!
We welcome Eiko as our guest to our Christmas Potluck.
We welcome Linda on the right as our guest to our Christmas Pot Luck!

December Monthly Meeting Minutes
Shuswap Spinners and Weavers
December 12, 2016

The meeting was called to order by Carole at 7:10 PM, with 23 members attending.
Thanks was given to all members who brought a great potluck meal
Minutes:  It was moved by Gabrielle and seconded by Loanna that the minutes of the previous month be adopted.

Equipment: None

Library:  Bea replaced the missing “Learning to Weave” book and then Gabrielle found one in the thrift store, which she also bought.  Bea displayed some donated books, which will appear in the library shortly.  
Historian: No report

Workshops:  There will be a draft reading workshop on January 12.  Stay alert for updates.  
*Louise is also redoing the spinning classes for the fall fair.  She is interested to know:  Are people interested in entering the spinning classes?   Which classes are they most interested in entering?  Can you please get back to Louise about this? nevlouise@gmail.com She are collaborating on some changes to the spinning classes, which will include new art yarn categories, and some mention of professionally prepared yarns and personally prepared yarns.

Blog:  The blog is currently up to date.  Items are selling off the blog, so Bea is kept busy updating it.  Thank you for letting her know when items have sold.

Old Business:

Christmas Sale:  Ann has created a timeline for the Christmas sale, which will allow us to be up to date on what must be done when.  The hall has been booked for December 2, for next year’s sale.  
Many thanks to all those who helps, advertising and posters, set up, planning, tea service, cash planning and handling, organizing, take-down, and musicians.  Many people put a lot of effort into making our sale so lovely and such a success.  Lots of people comment that it is their favourite sale.
Some items that must be started early:  Poster Development.  This year’s poster needed more contrast for headlines.  Also, posters should state that the sale is in Salmon Arm, and that we now accept Visa and Mastercard.  Gudie does an amazing job of publishing in all the free spaces, but we need to focus more on getting young people there.  Perhaps placing posters at elementary school, or day care centres?  Some discussion centered around offering a program that introduces spinning and weaving in the elementary schools, and what such a program would entail.  Perhaps a photo of a child in a knitted toque could be added to the poster?
Poster development could be started early, and finalized by June, so the small posters could be put out for the fall fairs.  The small posters that Gudie puts out are still valued as handouts/ individual invitations.  Visa and Mastercard signs could be put on the sales tables, the sandwich boards and the posters.  Do we want to move the sale to and earlier time and start at 9:30?  We do have a line up at 10:00 but we are always ready and not rushed.  (No concensus)  Ann can arrange to have soup and a bun served to workers from the center if we wish it for a nominal fee.  (to be revisited closer to the next sale.)  .  Fashion shows for woven items received some discussion. Would a fashion show mid-sale add to sales?  Lots of people though wearing sale items was a better display for them than tables. People enjoyed stopping for a few minutes to listen to our Barbershop Chorus visitors.  (Thanks to the chorus)There was lots of free ranging discussion on these issues.

New Business:

Do we need to create a committee to discuss creating a school program for wool prep/spinning/weaving?

Bea and Lis combed through 2 years of minutes to see if any carried motions had been unaddressed.
The only two were those mentioned by Bea.  
The committee had recommended a scholarship within the guild as a memorial for Gudrun.  They will meet again in January to discuss a format for this, and report back to the February meeting.

Three shawls from 2014 – 2016 were laid out with photos of the team members.  Bea created a draw for each year.  Elvi won the 2014 shawl, Carole the 2015, and Ky the current shawl. Congratulations to our winners.  Hopefully this will encourage many people to volunteer for sheep to shawl teams.

Upcoming Spin Ins and Dates

January 17 – 10 – 2 PM  Spin In at Mona’s  
Wednesday evening Spin Ins at the mall will resume next year on January 4.

The January Meeting has been cancelled due to inclement weather.
The February and March meetings will be daytime meetings.  Fibres Unlimited will meet from 10 – 12 on February and March 6, and the meeting will be at 1 – 3 PM on the same dates.  The April meeting (April 3) will revert back to an evening meeting, and Fibres Unlimited will be from 2 – 4 in the afternoon.  
Dave and Sharon are responsible for goodies for the February 6 meeting.

Louise asked that this information be read out at the meeting, and I forgot it, so am adding it to the minutes.  Please treat the asterisk paragraph as an addendum to the minutes.

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Annual Christmas Sale 
held on December 3, 2016
Julia playing the harp. 

Almost the whole gang! 

Julia playing the harp and Maureen joined in with her Ukulele

Tea, coffee and sweets were provided.
Thank you Gabriel, Sherry and Carol.

Hiromi and Eiko
Picture curtesy by Eiko Uehara
Emi and Eiko
Pictuare curtesy by Eiko Uehara

Eiko and Bea
Picture curtesy by Eiko Uehara

Friday, November 11, 2016

Shuswap Spinners and Weavers
Annual Christmas sale December 3rd.......
held in Salmon Arm


Monday, November 7, 2016

November Monthly Meeting Minutes
Shuswap Spinners and Weavers
November 7, 2016

The meeting was called to order by president Carole at 7 PM, with 25 members and one guest in attendance.

The agenda was amended.  Julia moved that the agenda be adopted.  Gudie seconded the motion.  CARRIED

The Minutes to the October Meeting were corrected to include the emailed correction to change the address of the sale to the 5th Avenue Senior's Centre.  Gabriele moved and Joan seconded to adopt the minutes.  CARRIED

Equipment:  No report

Library:  VAV, Spin Out and Ply have new copies in the library.  The Bulletin is especially good this month.  "Learn to Weave" by Chandler/Redding is still missing, despite phone calls etc to retrieve it.  Moved by Bea, seconded by Louise that we buy another copy of that book.  CARRIED. 
NOTE:  Keep an eye out for books we could/should add to the library.  We could take a list of books to the ANWG conference.

Historian's Report: - No report

Workshop Report:     The Theo Moorman workshop took place at Sharon's workshop on Saturday.  Carole displayed a completed sample from the workshop.  3 out of 4 of the samples we have contracted to weave have been or are in the process of being delivered.  One sample is left to weave - the loom is in the guild room to work on.
The next workshop will be a workshop on reading drafts.  Many books have various display methods displaying weaving patterns.  This workshop will help you decipher them all, and some specific pattern specialties as well.  The workshop will be on January 12 in Salmon Arm.  Location to be announced.  At this time the price is $40, but with a larger sign up list the price could come down.  Beginner weavers will particularly appreciate this workshop.

Blog Report:  The blog is totally updated.  Bea has phoned everyone with an outdated ad to make sure their ad could be removed,  photos from our last meeting and from the Spin Out are now on line.  Thanks for your hard work, Bea.

The Library Display case has been updated by Elvi, and the mall display case has been updated by Rod.  In both cases, the Christmas poster is last year's poster with the Date Changed.  Updated Posters will be added when available.

CHRISTMAS SALE:  The posters were not correct, and so were unable to be picked up from the printers yet.  The completed posters will be available at Thea's store for those who are able to display posters in their areas, but it may be a day or two before they are ready.
Gudie will send out PDF files for and updated copy of the usual posters and mini invitations for those who wish to print them off and give them out.  People do like to receive their personal notice.  The sale is also advertised on the cards we used at the fall fairs.  Please pick up a few copies, so they can be used up.
Gudie has sent sale information to the following venues for their advertising.  
Sharon Adair - Quilters  - <
Sandra Baker - Needle Arts -     lifestyles@vernonmorningstar.com  -  Calendar of Events 
wilma@okadvertiser.com  -  Events listing
 info@enderbyrivertalk.com  -   Calendar of Events 
nxnw@cbc.ca  -  Community Events 
info@tidbitsshuswap.com  -   Around the Shuswap Events
 lsn@lakeshorenews.bc.ca -  Coming Events 
events@saobserver.net  -  Around Town listings 
sareception@radio.astral.com  -  Community Events Announcements  daybreakkelowna@cbc.ca  -  Community Events Calendar

Thanks for doing this, Gudie.   Gudie will also create an event facebook page that you can join, and then send out to your contact list.  Gudie will also supply tablecloths.
Goodies:  Gabriele will once again host our goodie table with Carole and Sherry's help.  She will bring her dishes again.  EVERYONE IN THE GUILD IS EXPECTED TO ASSIST with bringing goodies for the sale.  Gabriele asks that they be small and non sticky goodies, ie, muffins are of the micro variety,  and that all containers are labelled with your name.
The hall is rented on Friday night, so there will be no set up on Friday.  The Set-Up Crew consists of:  Elvi, Dave, Loanna, Rod, Lois, Carole and Lis.  They will meet at the guild room at 3:00 PM on Friday, Dec 2 to load up vehicles for the sale on Saturday.  They will also meet at the hall at 8:00 AM on Friday.  PLEASE don't come with your items until 8:30 AM.
Ann will organize the set up for the sale.  If you are bring props, particularly free-standing shelves, etc., PLEASE LET ANN KNOW IN ADVANCE.  Deadline for letting Ann know about props is November 26.
A Sign Up Sheet was sent around for manning the sales desks.  It is being attached at the end of this email.
Julia will be playing her harp, which is being advertised on the posters
Ann was asked to book the hall again for this event for next year on December 2, 2017.
LISTS:  Noelle asked that Inventory lists be submitted to her for everyone entering items in the sale.  She asked that all items be tagged with three initials from now on, as well as a description of the item and a price.  A typical inventory item would look like this
elb#79                             Red mittens                                                       $15.00                       
On your tag, which should be securely attached to your items, the initials and number and price should be prominently displayed.  Content and washing instructions must also be attached.
If you are on duty at the cash desk, please write on the bill whether the payment is in cash, credit card or cheque.  Signing your initials to each sales slip could help Noelle track down puzzling items.  Ann will bring her IPad, and Carole and Lis their phones, which have the app for the square already set up.  The square app is good only for credit cards, not debit cards.  Dave suggested we could borrow debit card readers from the credit union.  This will be looked into.
Noelle took a name tag order at the meeting.  If you are in need of a new name tag, please email Noelle right away, so yours can be included with this order.


Julia has repaired two floor length mirrors.  Please note that the legs are tied to the box, and the mirror can be slid out of the box with out dismantling it.  Please try to keep the items together.  They look great - Thanks Julia.

Bea noted that some items have been passed in previous minutes, but nothing has been done about them.  The memorial scholarship committee needs to make a report/recommendation so we can complete this item.  The shawls were subject to a motion, but nothing has been done about them.  Elisabeth to check past minutes to look for items that need to be addressed.

The December meeting is our Christmas potluck meeting.  Please be aware that it has been changed to the second Monday of the month.  December 12 at the Community Centre at 6 PM.  Please bring a plate and some utensils, as that will allow us to bring casseroles in crock pots, etc for our meal. 

Book Report by Ann - Designing with Blocks by Dora May Keesbee.  This book has been set up for a study group to explore block weaves.  The back has a number of pattern pages to allow people to plan different colour patterns.

Louise has some notes on ERROR CORRECTIONS.  She noted that errors are most easily corrected on the loom, and before washing for best results.  A bodkin or tapestry needle - blunt nosed- is the tool of choice, and good lighting/magnifying helps.  A copy of the draft or a good understanding of the pattern is a good tool to help with fixing the errors.  Louise gave a number of excellent suggestions for avoiding the errors, and for finding and marking them.

Spin Ins:
Wednesday Evening Spin Ins have resumed in the Piccadilly mall, hosted by the Bea and Rod
November 15 from 10 - 2 PM  at Sherry Barkers.  Bring your own lunch, and come to  4803 Landsdown.  Sherry will email us directions.
January 17, from 10 - 2 pm at Mona Balls in Armstrong               

New Email lists should be sent out in the next few days.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:15 PM for coffee and Show and Tell.
November Show and Tell
Louise always has something on the go!

Joan's knitting!

Sherry's been working on this rug!

.... and knitting.

Jean's project.

One of our newest members, Loanna,
getting ready for our Christmas Sale.

Ann's been weaving.....

and weaving.

Loanna's knitting slippers galore!

Maureen's knitting

a Bandit scarf

Noelle's project.

Carol's quilting..... Front

...... back

Lis's last trip she brought back some weaving.

Gabriele's knitting and weaving,