Wednesday, November 12, 2014

November Meeting Minutes

November 3, 2014 Minutes
Shuswap Spinners and Weavers - 28 members present, 1 guest

Call meeting to order: 7 pm
Introductions: Denise de Jose, Samantha Boutet,
Additions to agenda. - Lis to do double weave study group, Carole and banner project, date of sale Sunday vs Saturday
Adoption of minutes
Voted on library motion to spend money from previous meeting. Carried
Judith moved the minutes be adopted as amended, Carole seconded, carried.

Treasurer: Noelle has put some money into a term deposit.

Noelle moved her report be adopted, seconded by Louise, Carried.
Eileen moved, seconded Carole, Noelle be reimbursed for paying ANWG membership. Carried. Three members ordered name tags.

Library: reminder for members to send suggestions to Darlene with ISB number

Equipment: Need to fix one spinning wheel. Knitting machine is set up
Historian, no report
Workshops: Fleece sorting at Ann's on Saturday, washing fleeces.
Sharon got some ethnic textile books from a local book sale, donated to the library.

Old business:
Progress of projects on guild looms: Catherine is weaving her tea towel this week.
Nikki to follow. Rod has finished his rug.
Fall fair theme some suggestions were given. Ann to submit.
Waulking project for Friday night at the fall fair. Many members indicated interest
in weaving a blanket. Members wishing to buy yarn, $5.00 a ball for that
used in the previous blanket project. Elvi and Ann to coordinate.

Poster for upcoming Sale: Gudie has corrected the date and sent it out to members.
November 29 Sale - Julia is willing to do the set-up for the gallery. Needs a truck
(Lois) to take items from the guild room on Friday at 3 pm. Ann and Noelle to
help load. Saturday morning set up Lois, Katie, Gudrun, Carole, at 7:30 am to
set up tables, etc.
Members with large display items to email Julia the sizes
- displaying of items, time 8:30 am for members to begin.
Gudie will do media advertising, will create an events page on Facebook,
Gudie will email posters to previous customers.
Tearoom: Gabriele to organize, Carole and Judith to help. Ann will take Judith's
place as she has other commitments.
*+*+*. Bring bite sized, non sticky goodies for the tea room. Label your container.
Emi suggested taking a PDF to a local stationary store and asking them if they
would print up a few posters as a donation.
Gudrun to set up a display in the library at 1 pm on November 12. Email, or phone
Inventory list: make two copies, one to keep and one for the sales table.
Unique initials and number on each item, description and price. All of this
should be on your inventory list including your full name, phone number and
mailing address.

Guidelines for sale of items at guild Christmas Sale.
- be hand-made/produced by members
- items from members be intermingled throughout sales area, some grouping
of items may be possible ( baby items, men's wear)
- props be shared as much as possible, guild and personal as appropriate
Inventory list: make two copies, one to keep and one for the sales table.
- remember to park at at the Salmar lot.
Louise moved these guidelines be accepted, seconded by Mona. 13 in favour, 4 opposed. Carried

New Business:
Pot Luck: December meeting on December 1 at 6 p.m. Here at the Recreation
Centre. Finger foods to be brought.
Carole talked about the banners in the latest handwoven and wondered if we
wanted to each do a square for a banner. An idea for in front of our booth at
various events. Respond to Carole if interested.
Lis wondered if anyone was interested in doing a double weave exploration and
projects. Contact her if interested.
Intwined Fibres is having a hand made gift Gallery for the month of December . There will be a 20% commission. contact Thea at 778-489-1090. November 9, the store moves to a new location nearer the Art Gallery.

Spinners and Weavers Sale at the gallery, Tracy would like to know if we would consider Sunday rather than Saturday. Maybe check out other venues as Saturday sales are a bigger draw. Noelle, Gabriele, and Ann will meet with Tracy in the new year.

Hosting a spin-in event for the surrounding guilds, committee to organize if guild is interested. Timing, location. Theme or focus - have an opportunity for people to try different wheels for the first hour of the spin-in? (Possible date - third Saturday of March) Bea, Elvi, Lis, Carole, Ann and Sara will look into this and report back. Mar 21 is the preferable date for several members, but some are still enjoying southern warmth at that time.

Spin-in and Knit-in dates (Bring your projects and bag lunch)
Samantha: Tuesday Nov 18 from 10 - 2
Sharon: Thursday Dec 11 10 am - 2 pm
Evening spin-in: opportunity to learn/practice spinning with others, (no interest
expressed tonight.)
Michelle brought a magazine called Embellish for us to consider for the library.
Adjournment: Moved by Gudie.
Coffee and goodies organized by Bea and Wendy - delicious, thank you!
Show and tell
Recorded and written by Ann Nikmo November 5, 2014